Midway Hills has been providing support to Austin Street Center for about 30 years through our Church in Society ministry. Every time a month has a 5th Saturday, we serve a hot meal (prepared by us in our church kitchen) to 300+ Austin Street clients. If you would like to help, please let us know! It takes teamwork to prepare and serve a meal!
Tasks/People Needed to serve food at Austin Street
- Heat Ravioli and Beans: 2-4 people for 2. 5 hours
- Prepare Bananas: 1-2 people for 1 hour
- Transportation: load the van or pick-up and other vehicles and drive to shelter (40 minutes)
- Serve at the center: 6-8 people, takes 1 hour (from 6-7:00 pm)
Time to Cook
Cooking begins in the church kitchen at 3:00 pm! Two big pots of green beans to heat on the stove and 14 pans of ravioli to warm in the oven. For the green beans and cheese ravioli we use the industrial size cans.
- 14 cans if beans and 36 cans of ravioli
- We use 5 pounds of shredded cheese to top the ravioli
Along with hot food we also take:
- 4 cases of bananas,
- 28 loaves of bread and
- 14 packages of cookies
In addition to the food, we also take enough plates and forks to serve 350 people. We also have enough food for seconds, and we usually are able to leave leftovers.
Finally, it all gets loaded into vehicles for the drive to the shelter. A minivan or pick-up truck is needed along with at least one other vehicle.
A little extra…
Sometimes, we take extra treats in addition to the regular menu! One October, we took “Treats for Austin Street,” and a January, one of our members provided Valentine’s themed candy bags!