In the 1950’s the North Texas Area of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began planning for a new church in Northwest Dallas. In 1954 the property at 11001 Midway Road was purchased (at the time, it was in the middle of a field). A minister was selected and an architect named.
Ray Bristol, our first minister, conducted our first worship service on March 6, 1955. The service was held in a local elementary school. As the congregation grew, the current facilities, designed by charter member Bill Benson, were constructed.
As Ray Bristol visited with prospective members, he handed them a brochure with this quote:
“It is my hope that this church will seek to preach and practice a religion as devoted to justice as the prophets, as concerned for persons as Jesus, as responsible to truth as science, as beautiful as art, as intimate as home and as indispensable as the air we breathe.”
That spirit has guided this congregation over the years as members have remained focused on working for justice for all people.
Here are a few examples of how our members have lived the message of Jesus:
- Participating in Block Partnerships (1960’s)
- Being the first church in Dallas County to elect a female chair of the board, as well as two women elders
- Sponsoring Refugees (Vietnam, Poland, Kenya, Uganda, Cuba, Laos)
- Holding forums on sexuality, race relations, Islam, peace and war
- Becoming an Open and Affirming Congregation
- Sharing our worship space with other congregations
- Being a founding congregation for Family Gateway and North Dallas Shared Ministries
- Providing an AIDS care teamServing meals at Austin Street Centre and delivering Meals on Wheels
- Hosting a PFLAG group
- Becoming one of the first churches to reflect equality for women (Board Chair/Elders/Deacons)
- Conducting Youth and Adult mission trips
Join us to be part of a congregation that works for social justice as we grow spiritually in our relationship with God and each other. Join us to be included, accepted and celebrated for the person you are. You will find a home with us at Midway Hills Christian Church.